Tuesday, September 10, 2019

TIFF 2019: The Goldfinch


The Goldfinch is based on the best-selling novel by Donna Tartt, and stars Baby Driver's Ansel Elgort as Theo Decker, orphaned at age 13 by a tragedy that follows him the rest of his life. The film is very faithful to the book, following Theo through a series of living situations, some nourishing and some not so much. There is a bit of a jumbling of the timeline that I did not see much motivation for, but overall the film felt just right to me, and the characters looked and behaved exactly as I expected. While some of the performances were reserved, I thought those worked, and provided contrast to the characters that were a little more over the top. I really liked this one a lot, and recommend it.

TIFF 2019 Overview

No comments:

Post a Comment