Sunday, September 17, 2017

TIFF 2017: Jane


Jane used old footage from the 1960s thought to have been lost to tell the story of how Jane Goodall came to spend her life studying the chimpanzees in Gombe, Tanzania. I was especially interested in this film because in 1991 I visited Goodall's chimps at Gombe Stream National Park. I have read a couple of her books, and was looking for an update on what I knew about the chimps. I didn't get that, as the film really focused more on her life, but I did learn a lot more about her as a person, including that she had been married & divorced and had raised a son, which surprised me.(Looking her up in Wikipedia I learn she also had a second marriage, not mentioned in the film).

The old footage from the 1960s is in surprisingly good condition (or has been really well restored). If you're looking for a deep dive into her study of the chimps, I'd suggest reading one of her books, but if you want a look into what makes a woman spend her life studying and advocating for our cousins, this is an interesting film.

TIFF 2017 Overview

No comments:

Post a Comment