Friday, February 13, 2009

A Bad Start to the Day**

I now know the answer to two fundamental questions about myself:
1) If I were near death in the intensive care unit, would I pray?
2) If I spilled my coffee beans on the floor, would I try to salvage the beans that had been on the floor for my morning cup of coffee?

The answer to both questions is "No"*. The first was answered in May of 1980, after my car accident. The second answer came this morning, after I fumbled the transfer of the coffee canister from the freezer to the counter. Here is the scene, with coffee beans and shards of broken canister lid decorating my kitchen floor.

And such a nice canister too, part of a deal from Gevalia Kaffe to try their coffee. I think I got it when I was in grad school in the early 80s. Their deal has gotten better with time; now you get a programmable coffee maker with your first order.

It was bound to happen some day. I am a very clumsy person at the best of times, and almost every time my sleepy paws grabbed the slippery canister from the freezer, my caffeine-starved brain would consider the odds of dropping it. I have already taken down the Elmer the Safety Elephant flag that had been flying over my house for so long.

*Well, while I did not use any of the beans that had been on the floor, I did salvage those that were still inside the unbroken part of the canister. Good coffee (not Gevalia).

**And only now, after posting this, do I notice that today is Friday the 13th. Ominous music.

1 comment: